Notice: The information contained herein is for informational purposes only as a service to A-Check clients and is not legal advice or a substitute for legal counsel. Every situation is different therefore it is important to obtain competent legal counsel specific to your situation to protect your organization.
Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is cracking down on employers who fail to comply with federal laws on immigration compliance. In recent months, ICE has issued thousands of Notices of Inspection that require employers to submit, within three days, all of the legally required forms I-9 and supporting documentation for all of their employees.
“Fines for knowingly employing illegal aliens range from $375 to $14,000 for unauthorized workers, while fines for paperwork I-9 violations can range from $110 to $1,100, with higher fines being imposed based on a percentage of errors,” Ogletree Deakins reports.
Would you fare well in such a short-notice audit?
- Are your form I-9 records internally audited for compliance?
- Do you have an electronic form I-9 system to ensure compliance?
- Are you aware of state E-Verify requirements that might apply to your business?
If the answer to any of these questions is “no,” then consider this a call to action for an immediate review of your immigration compliance policies and documentation.
Need more convincing? According to employment law experts Seyfarth Shaw, “In 2012, three employers have been ordered to pay $2 million each; a fourth employer was ordered by a court to pay $1 million in fines. In addition to monetary penalties, more than 90 managers have been arrested and criminally charged with immigration-related violations since October 2011.”
A-Check offers employers two electronic services to assist in compliance with federal immigration laws through our RAPID I-9 module within A-Check Direct®. With RAPID I-9, employers can process an Electronic Form I-9 and, if needed, submit an E-Verify request with a single click. RAPID I-9 is incorporated into the regular flow of the employment screening process.
Benefits of RAPID I-9 include:
- Comply with Form I-9 requirements
- Eliminate the possibility of error in the Form I-9 Process
- Eliminate paper-based Form I-9 management
- Stay compliant with each state’s E-Verify legislation
- Receive immediate confirmation of work eligibility
- Outsource labor-intensive dispute process management
- Protect your company from identity fraud
- Integrate with existing employment screening process
Learn even more about RAPID I-9.